Governor Kathy Hochul announced today that the “Take Your Shot for an Outdoor Adventure” competition is now open. The COVID-19 vaccine incentive was launched last week by Governor Kathy Hochul and is designed to increase vaccination rates among New Yorkers who enjoy the outdoors. In December, anyone who receives their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine can enter the sweepstakes and a random drawing to win special prize packages tailored to anglers, hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts.
“I’m very excited to be opening this competition to encourage all New Yorkers to get vaccinated. The vaccine is our best weapon against this pandemic, and every New Yorker must receive this vaccine to ensure that our great state can continue on its path of recovery. ” said Governor Hochul. “With this new incentive, when you get your first dose of vaccine in December, you could have the added bonus of winning an outdoor adventure in New York’s pristine wilderness.”
DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos said, “I applaud Governor Hochul’s continued efforts to educate New Yorkers about the critical need for vaccination to protect themselves, their families and their communities. As we move forward through the COVID-19 pandemic, the new Take Your Shot for an Outdoor Adventure Sweepstakes will be a great way to attract more New Yorkers, including the growing number of people, to the state’s premier outdoor opportunities. Discover recreation, encourage people to get vaccinated, and win a chance to win great equipment.
Five entrants will be randomly selected to receive the grand prize and the opportunity to choose one of the following Deluxe Packages, valued at approximately $ 2,000 USD:
- Fishing: Lifetime fishing license, fishing kayak, vest, rod and reel;
- Bowhunter: Lifelong hunter and bow hunting license, high-quality crossbow package or compound bow package with ½ dozen bolts or arrows, ladder tree stand, safety belt / fall protection system and 10×42 binoculars;
- Rifle hunter: lifelong athlete’s license, high-quality telescopic sight, ladder tree stand, safety harness / fall protection system and 10×42 binoculars;
- Turkey hunter: lifetime sports license, high quality floor blind, turkey hunting vest, pair of chicken bait, optical sight for shotguns, slate call and 10×42 binoculars; and
- Bird Watching: 20-60x spotting scope, 10×42 binoculars, bird feeder, bird feed, aviary, deluxe bird watching guide and I Bird NY materials
Twenty-five entrants will be selected at random to receive Tier Two Prizes and one of the following packages, valued at approximately $ 1,000 USD:
- Fishing: Annual fishing license, fishing kayak, vest, rod and reel;
- Bowhunter: Annual hunter and bow hunting license, high-quality crossbow OR compound bow package with ½ dozen bolts or arrows, ladder tree stand, safety harness / fall protection system and 8×42 binoculars;
- Rifle hunters: Annual hunting license, high-quality telescopic sight, ladder tree stand, safety harness / fall arrest system and binoculars 8×42;
- Turkey hunter: annual hunting license and turkey permit, high quality floor blind, turkey hunting vest, chicken bait, slate call and 8×42 binoculars; and
- Bird watchers: 8×42 binoculars, bird feeder, bird seed and I Bird NY materials.
The first 2,000 people to receive their first vaccination and enter the drawing by December 31st will receive a tree sapling from Col. William F. Fox Memorial Tree Nursery of DEC in Saratoga and a $ 25 gift card for a free night of Camping at a DEC campground or a $ 25 gift card for a major sporting goods retailer. In addition, the 2,000 contestants will receive a one-year subscription to DEC Conservationist magazine, which is currently celebrating its 75th anniversary.
Information on participating in the competition is now available at https://on.ny.gov/TakeYourShot. Before fulfilling a hunting license and a related privilege (e.g. bowhunting privilege), the recipient must complete a hunter training course and a bowhunter training course (in the case of the bowhunter price package) and submit certificate (s) of completion.
All eligible, vaccinated participants must meet all applicable requirements to obtain a hunting or fishing license in New York State, including completing required hunter training courses and other rules. For more information on hunting and freshwater fishing licenses, see https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6094.html and https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6091.html