Through proprietary research and nonprofit partnerships, LLBean expands its efforts to inspire and enable people to experience the restorative power of nature
FREEPORT, Maine, June 9, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Legendary outdoor retailer LLBean is officially back online after going “off the grid” for a month in recognition of Mental Health Awareness Month. But more than a return to social media, the brand returns with a sharpened focus on inspiring people and enabling them to experience the restorative power of nature. This includes proprietary research University of California Irvine (UCI) Associate Professor of Psychology Dr. Paul Pfiff Exploring the benefits of spending time outdoors, and establishing and continuing charitable partnerships with Boys and Girls Clubs of America, Mental Health America and OUT There Adventures.
“At LLBean, we believe that nature brings out the best in us. That’s why we’ve spent the last month without social media and prioritized time outdoors,” he said Shawn Gorman, Executive Chairman and great-grandson of LLBean. “Now that we’re back online, we look forward to working with Dr. Piff and UCI to work together to better understand the restorative power of nature, and to work with like-minded organizations to ensure these benefits are as accessible and inclusive as possible.”
DR Paul Pfiff/UCI Research
Mounting evidence suggests that the benefits of spending time outdoors are tremendous — from improved short-term memory and increased creativity to reduced stress and greater well-being — but many people don’t understand why. One reason is that nature inspires awe—the emotional response to being in the presence of something so grand that it transcends one’s understanding of the world. In two consecutive studies, LLBean and Dr. Piff explore the mental, social, and health benefits of experiencing the awe of spending time outdoors:
- Project 1: Is Reverence for Nature Associated with Improved Social Connection and Emotional and Physical Health During the COVID-19 Pandemic?
- Project 2: Can an awe-enhancing intervention have a positive impact on overall health and happiness?
“For hundreds of years people have spoken about the importance of reverence in human life and human relationships,” said Dr. Paul Pfiff. “I look forward to working with LLBean to better understand how it relates to spending time outdoors and overall health, happiness and social connection.”
LLBean also invests in several organizations and partnerships focused on helping people experience nature, including:
- Boys & Girls Club of America (BGCA) – Part of LLBean’s $500,000, a two-year partnership to expand the sports and recreation program for boys’ and girls’ clubs, the brand will officially launch an Outdoor Recreation Playbook in June that formalizes a social recreation curriculum, supports emotional wellness activities, and breaks down barriers for children and youngsters to have new and engaging experiences with nature. LLBean also continues to offer Outdoor Discovery Programs (ODP) at select clubs, with experienced local guides to introduce young people to a range of outdoor activities.
- Mental Health America (MHA) – By a $500,000 Through a grant and two-year partnership, LLBean will work with MHA to reach people through community-based mental health programs. The partnership includes research and multimedia campaigns aimed at creating connections and inclusion in nature and uncovering the well-being benefits of spending time outdoors.
- OUT There Adventures – LLBean is proud to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community $50,000 to support our friends at OUT There Adventures. OUT There Adventures is an organization that supports the spiritual wellbeing and development of LGBTQ+ youth through outdoor experiences.
To learn more, visit www.llbean.com.
About LLBean, Inc.
LLBean, Inc. is a leading multichannel retailer of premium outdoor gear and apparel. Founded in 1912 by Leon Leonwood Bean, the company began as a one-room operation selling a single product, the Maine Hunting Shoe. still family owned, Shawn Gorman, great-grandson of Leon Leonwood Bean, was appointed Chairman of the Board in 2013. Though the business has grown over the years, LL Bean continues to hold to its founder’s values, including his commitment to quality, customer service and love of the outdoors. In 2020, LL Bean donated over 6 million dollars to over 100 outdoor and community-enriching organizations, many focused on improving access to outdoor spaces. LL Bean operates 54 stores in 19 states The United Statesalong with 25 shops in Japan. The 220,000 square ft. LL Bean retail store campus in Freeport, ME, is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and welcomes more than 3 million visitors each year. LLBean can be found worldwide at www.llbean.com, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and Instagram.
About dr Paul Pfiff
Paul K PiffPh.D., is an assistant professor of psychology and social behavior University of California Irvine, where he also directs the Morality, Emotion and Social Hierarchy Lab. dr Piff’s research examines the origins of human kindness and cooperation, as well as the social consequences of economic inequality. In 2015 dr. Piff was named a Rising Star by the Association for Psychological Science in recognition of his outstanding early contributions to the field of psychology.
LLBean Head of External Communications