Lagos guard stabs carpenter to loss of life for climbing property fence

Lagos guard stabs carpenter to death for climbing estate fence

A security guard, Dayon Ayuba, was arrested by men from Lagos State Police Command for allegedly stabbing to death a carpenter, identified simply as Taiye, at the Nitel Estate in the state’s Ikorodu region.

PUNCH Metro learned that Taye, who lived in the Mushin area of ​​the state, was visiting his friend Samuel Shobowale to do some carpentry work at his residence on the estate along Ota-Ona, Ikorodu.

With the work complete, Taiye is said to have been on his way home when he decided to take a shortcut to get quickly onto the main road and board a vehicle to his destination.

A landlord of the property, who gave his name Bolade, said Taiye was trying to scale the property’s fence to connect the main road when Ayuba, who was on duty, approached him around 8:40 p.m.

Bolade said: “The incident happened on May 14, 2022, but after the incident, all security forces were dismissed. The security guard was new to the property when he stabbed this man.

“The person (Taiye) wanted to climb the fence but the security guard told him to go through the official gate. He refused and decided to jump the fence. A misunderstanding ensued and both began to argue.

“The guard pulled out a knife and stabbed him in the lap. The man started bleeding and people took him to a hospital.”

Our correspondent noted that the 30-year-old was taken to Life Seminary Hospital, Ota-Ona, Ikorodu, where his death was confirmed by a doctor.

Another resident, who asked not to be identified, said police had been contacted, adding that the arrested suspects were handed over to the state criminal police for further investigation.

He said: “The incident happened at night and the victim was one of the employees working at a site on the property where a lot of construction is going on. The security guard was simply overzealous as there was nothing incriminating for the deceased.”

The chairman of the Nitel Estate Residents Association, one Adeshida, said he was not privy to the incident but would call his secretary and get in touch with our correspondent.

At the time of writing, he had not done so.

State Police Public Relations Officer Benjamin Hundeyin said the investigation into the incident was ongoing, adding that the suspect (Ayuba) had been arrested.

He said: “The suspect was arrested immediately and at the time of his arrest it was just a case of assault causing damage. But later, the person who was stabbed died, and the investigation moved to murder from there. The case was handed over to the State Criminal Police Office.”

Copyright PUNCH.

All rights reserved. No part of this material or any other digital content on this website may be reproduced, published, transmitted, transcribed or redistributed without the prior express written permission of PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]