Albuquerque, NM – Outdoor Recreation Division (ORD) CNM Ingenuity and Outdoor New Mexico announced the six finalists for the live pitch at the first annual Adventure Pitch on Friday, October 7 at the 2022 Outdoor Economics Conference in Taos. Entrepreneurs compete for $15,000 in cash prizes, with first place winning a $10,000 cash prize, followed by $3,000 for second place and $2,000 for third place.
The outdoor business startup pitch event, organized by CNM Ingenuity’s Startups and Small Business team in partnership with ORD, received a variety of inspiring, diverse and competitive entries.
“Central New Mexico Community College and CNM Ingenuity are proud to be a part of this exciting effort to support startups and small businesses who can help power the outdoor industry in New Mexico,” said CNM President Tracy Hartzler. “We look forward to working with the New Mexico Outdoor Recreation Division and Outdoor New Mexico to help grow our state’s outdoor economy.”
This annual outdoor industry pitch event was invited to New Mexico-based startups with high growth potential and a core offering that includes outdoor recreation, environment, and/or health and wellness. The Adventure Pitch seeks to connect industry startups with investors and mentors to create an entrepreneurial network of outdoor business founders, industry experts and funders to grow the outdoor economy in New Mexico.
“These finalists represent the talent and creativity of outdoor industry innovators in our state, and we look forward to the experience and connections that the Adventure Pitch offers to startups,” said ORD Associate Director Alyssa Renwick. “The outdoor recreation industry contributes nearly $2 billion of state GDP annually, and opportunities like this for our outdoor businesses are invaluable.”
Applicants were evaluated based on the strength of their New Mexico ties, business description, industry knowledge, target market, competitive advantage, ability to scale the business in New Mexico, and revenue potential.
The six outdoor adventure pitch finalists are:
- Teal Harbin, CEO of Base Medical: Based in Albuquerque and Durango, Colorado, Base Medical is a women-led training solutions company that is revolutionizing the field of wilderness rescue education with an innovative approach that breaks down the current barriers to wilderness medicine and search and rescue (SAR) training.
- Bison Star Naturals, Co-Founder Jacquelene McHorse: Bison Star Naturals is a locally owned, family-run personal care business founded in 2018 by Angelo and Jacquelene McHorse in Taos, New Mexico.
- Earth Traveler Teardrop Trailers, Co-Founder Laura Esteves: Santa Fe-based Earth Traveler Teardrop Trailers has developed an innovative, ultra-lightweight teardrop trailer that can be towed by virtually any size vehicle.
- Freeze Dried Products, Partners Lane Grado & Chris Lang: Based in Las Cruses, Freeze Dried Products is proud to be the world’s first and only producer of freeze dried hatch chillies.
- TruFit CEO Adam White: TruFit is a Tijeras-based company with a mission to share a new fitness experience for athletes with disabilities that is empowering, inspiring and effective to help everyone be their best.
- Redirected, CEO Chap Grubb: Albuquerque-based Rerouted is an online and app-based company aiming to revolutionize the used outdoor gear industry.
These companies will speak live to investors from home and abroad on Friday morning at 9:15 a.m. on October 7 Mountain Biking.
Those interested in attending the Outdoor Economics Conference and Adventure Pitch can visit www.outdooreconomics.com for more information and to register.